Dalhousie is a hill station full of colonial charm that holds lingering echoes of the British Raj. Spread over the five hills (Kathlog, Potreys, Tehra, Bakrota and Balun) the town is named after the 19th century British Governor General Lord Dalhousie. It was popular with the British Army personnel in 1860's. The town's varying altitude shades it with a variety of vegetation that includes stately grooves of pines, deodars, oaks and flowering rhododendrons.
Rich in colonial architecture, the town preserves some beautiful churches. St. John church is the oldest one built in 1863, St. Francis was built in 1894, St. Andrew in 1903 and St. Patric in 1909.
Valley view from Subhash Chowk in Dalhousie
Its marvelous forest trails overlook vistas of wooded hills, water falls, springs and rivulets. Like a silver snake finding its way out of the mountains, the twists and turns of river Ravi are a treat to watch from many vantage points. There are also magnificent views of chamba valley and the mighty Dhauladhar range with its awe-inspiring snow covered peaks filling an entire horizons.
Roadside shelters in Dalhousie
A veneer of Tibetan culture has added a touch of the exotic to this screne resort and along road sides are huge rocks carved in low relief, painted in the Tibetan style. This hill region is a repository of ancient Hindu culture, art, temples, and handicrafts preserved under the longest-running single dynasty since the mid-6th century.
Valley view from Thandi Sarak in Dalhousie
The best time to visit is in the summer, and the peak tourist season is from May to September. Scottish and Victorian architecture is prevalent in the bungalows and churches in the town. Dalhousie is a gateway to the Chamba Hill State.