Dos and Donts
- Heavy Woolen & Jackets will be needed in winter season
- In summers, it can rain any time. An umbrella / raincoat can be handy
- Like any hill station, Nainital experiences unpredictable and sudden changes in weather. Do check the type of clothing and other equipment you may require on your visit to Nainital.
- Driving in hilly area is risky, always keep control of your speed especially in the curves if possible avail services of a driver.
- Do not park car on the Mall Road. Mall Road is a No Parking area. Violation of this restriction is an offence. Kindly use designated parking places like Parking near Nagar Palika Nainital, Parking in the Flats, Parking near Pump House Mallital, Parking at Tallital & Sukhatal.
- Traffic shall be strictly prohibited on Mall Road between 6 - 9 p.m during season. Only one way route from Tallital to Mallital for LMV during the 6 - 9 pm.
- During Off Season the Mall Road is closed between 6 - 8 p.m
- The district administration of Nainital has made it mandatory for all visitors at the popular Naini Lake to wear life jackets while enjoying boat rides here. The directive has been issued in public interest to prevent drowning incidents, which are common place particularly during summer.
- For hiring the boats always use pre-paid booths located in the shores of the lakes.
- While boating Do not pollute the Lake in any way. Violation is a punishable offense.
- Swimming is banned in Nainital Lake.
- While on Hills / Hill slopes & forests trekking avoid throwing cigarette buts on leaf litter as they are an important cause for forest fires.
- Avoid loud music and noise.
- Avoid using Plastic Bags or Plastic Bottles, as plastic does NOT decay itself & harms the natural environment. If you do use plastic kindly don't throw in the lake/ forest and carry back. The use of Plastic Polythene Bags is banned in Nainital.
- Do respect people's privacy while taking photographs. Ask for prior permission before taking a photograph.
- While traveling to high Hills always carry Camera, Goggles, Sun screen lotion and Sports Shoes in-case you like nature walks (Binoculars are optional).